Greetings!!!!
Sorry, keeping a blog can be pretty complicated in the middle of the jungle. Internet connection isn't so grand :) so things here are going great! We have our good moments and our not so good moments... but all in all we are making many memories and having quite thee experiences!
Last week we began teaching, which was awesome!!! I had the opportunity to teach some monks (they are awesome!) I also was able to go to day care and play with all the beautiful little children! Teaching english is pretty difficult, because for most of them it is their third or fourth language. Most people here speak Thai, but also come from different hill tribes so they speak their tribal language! I'm telling you ASIANS ARE BRILLIANT! ( I dont mean that as a stereotype in any way...)
As far as the food goes... ya, I'm struggling!! Haha I wish I were more adventurous like Liz and some of these other girls that try most things... but I just cant! So rice and little sugar candies have become my new diet..
Last weekend we were able to take a bus into Chiang Mai... it was absolutely stunning! The bus ride there was three hours long, and had AC!!!!!! We were in heaven.. When we got there we took a Songteaw to our hostile.. and were loving the flushing toilets ( a nice break after using a squatter for a week.) We then got up and went to this amazing Buddhist Temple that was up on the hill, I believe they said it was the tallest point in all of Thailand.. it had the most incredible view looking over the city. Afterwards we took our songteaw back down the hill and went to the Zoo for the day. The Zoo was also unbelievable! The cages are so much closer to the people, so we had the chance to feed Elephants and pet them, along with hippos, and the zebras. Afterwhich we ate some dinner (we found a Mcdonalds!!!!!) Praise the day for french fries!! Sunday night we went to the Sunday market in town.. it would have to be the worlds largest market! It stretched out across several blocks.. me and liz enjoyed ourselves' to a nice $2 foot rub that lasted 30 minutes! Talk about heaven!!!!!! On our way back we ran into an LDS church!!!!!! Literally, ran right into it! We were so excited, we ran in to see if anyone was still around. Sure enough the sister missionaries were there! We had a nice chat with them, and even found out that we had some mutual friends! It was a great weekend in Chiang Mai..
liz and I at the Temple teaching the Monks.
My class of Monks.
The children are seriously beautiful!! I already am in love with all of them!
Reading to day care, they sure love story telling!
They like to grill, marinate, and feast upon their insects over here, we on the other hand just want a picture!
At the Buddhist Temple in Chiang Mai, such a beautiful place!
All the volunteers at the mirror foundation!
"Do not dwell in the past, Do not dream of the future, Concentrate the mind on the present moment." -- Buddha
Alex
ReplyDeleteThis is Grandpa. Hope you are well
and enjoying your Exerience.
Love Ya
Oh my gosh, it looks like so MUCH FUN!!! And those kids are the most beautiful human beeings!! I also miss you a lot
ReplyDelete