Flashbacks of daddy daughter days as a little girl have been memories I've reminisced this week. Being the little girl who was always proud of who her dad was has been an honor i've held my entire life. I was the girl that before I looked at coach on the sideline for his direction I was searching the stands for my dad's thumbs up. My dad has not just been a "provider" for me until I left the house, he has continually been my idol, role model, and the person that I wanted to replicate for my husband and father of my children. In my eyes he was perfect growing up and continues to be the perfect father for me. It is through him I have learned the meaning of compassion. His willingness to serve each of his five children. His steadfastness in the church in all aspects. His involvement and volunteer time in the community. Most importantly his compassion shown toward my mother. He has been the main example in my life of what christlike love really resembles.
It is through him that I have learned about ambition. He exemplifies success in all areas of life and it is not something that is just handed to him. He is driven. His strive in achieving goals is admirable in the fact that he paves a way for many to follow. He is a natural leader and respected advocate in all he does. He has achieved a lot in his life and I know it is because of his endless drive.
It is through him I have learned sarcasm. YES... that's right, anyone who knows my dad knows he is nothing short of sarcasm, quick witted, and the life of the party. Sadly.. or not so sadly it is something we have all inherited. A man of many laughs despite the situation. Even when lying in a hospital bed drugged on morphine he will be the first to crack a joke.
It is through him that I have learned and continue to learn about the gospel. As a young girl to me there was no one who knew more about the gospel in my life than my dad. Not that he could quote any scripture off the top of his head or had a gospel reference for everything... it was more than that. He has a way of sharing eloquently the gospel in a "non-preachy" way. He makes things clear with his understanding of our savior Jesus Christ's work on this earth through his teachings and his every day actions. It is because of my dad's strength, faith, and testimony through moments of doubt I have had I could never doubt long, He has a way to make me always solidify my faith.
Most importantly, it is through my dad that I have learned what it truly means to ENDURE. This life can be so defeating at times. My dad doesn't settle for just coasting in this life. No. He endures. He strives and he is one that does indeed change the world for the better. You can tell he has an impact on all those around him from the second he walks in the room. People of all calibers look up to him. They want to know him, they want to be part of anything he is part of. He leaves a footprint everywhere he goes. It is through his endurance in this life that he continues to be a stand out to all he knows, all he meets, and all he crosses paths with.
I've had a lot to think about this week in tribute to my dad. Starting the second I ran into the ER that morning the only thing that went through my head is how are we here right now? My dad is invincible. My dad is the epitome of strength. It wasn't real in my head, but yet so real and so excruciating in my heart. I was still the same daddy's little girl looking for her dad in the stands. I was not about to lose you. Seeing the worry in everyone's eyes especially moms was too much to handle. How? how? how? Is the only thing that was on replay in my mind. How did this happen? How would life go on without him? How come it is happening now? How are we even here right now? Nothing made sense. When told over and over again that you about died, or the timing was so crucial, and how massive this heart attack was I think we were all in denial and in utter shock. A new perspective has been found for all of us this week. Other than already knowing you are the anchor to this family... it is the life lesson of how precious this life truly is. Some struggles simply knock us straight on our ass... to be frank! We have learned that particularly this month and this week. However we have also learned that family is everything. They are there despite all our own shortcomings. They are sometimes our biggest annoyances. But it is through family, the gospel, and most importantly our savior Jesus Christ that we endure.
Wouldn't want anyone else in this life to teach me how to ride a bike, shoot a basketball, dance with me at my wedding than my amazing dad. I love you. And I'm beyond grateful we have you here today to wish you a happy fathers day.
Love Always,
your daughter.
"A father's calling is eternal and it's importance transcends time." - Ezra Taft Benson
Father of Mine
I imagine being held in your arms the day I was born
And somehow knowing you would be there for every smile and every heart mourn.
You were my hero from the second my eyes saw you;
Nothing has ever proven to be more true.
There is no man to compare or compete,
With the greatness you hold, you are the elite.
No greater exemplary advocate to both counsel and to guide.
Always showing others compassion, ambition, and stride.
Not a day passes here nor' there
That your presence impacts people everywhere
If I could have a few words to say or even just one line...
It will always be I love you, sweet Father of Mine.
-Alex Robison 2016







No comments:
Post a Comment